Breaking news| April 25, 2020
America’s early response to Coronavirus was a complete disaster. Learn from a former CDC Officer Why
America’s original response to the coronavirus was a total disaster. In January and February, no one thought twice of this epidemic – at least, no one in a position to actually do something meaningful about it. With so much fake news floating around, from both sides of the aisle, it’s really difficult to figure out what’s real and what’s speculation.
Today’s guest is Dr. Rishi Desai, Chief Medical Officer of Osmosis.
Dr. Desai joins us today to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic, how the response to the disease has impacted the scale of the outbreak and answers questions regarding testing, the CDC and what to expect moving forward. He shares his extremely valuable insights to help us understand what has gone wrong in terms of America’s approach to the novel coronavirus.
Listen to the podcast to learn about:
- What could have been done differently in response to COVID-19
- The reason for testing delays and shortages in the United States
- The response of the CDC
- Progression of the treatment protocols
- The strains placed on the healthcare system due to poor planning
- The validity and safety of anti-viral treatments in the context of COVID-19
- Reasons for the continued case increases
- Why the United States has struggled more than other countries
- Possible projections for the course of the disease
- How pre-existing conditions have had an impact on case numbers
About the guest:
Dr. Desai has a background in public health, has worked as a pediatric epidemiologist, and has also served as an epidemic intelligence service officer for the CDC. He has investigated emerging pandemics in America (and the entire world) and was also part of the Division of Viral Diseases within the CDC.
About the company he works for:
Osmosis is a learning platform for clinicians, medical students and caregivers alike. Osmosis believes learning should be simple, enjoyable and efficient and offers many different tools to help you achieve your learning goals such as video, mobile platforms and high-yield notes.
Subscribe to‘Healthcare Weekly: At the Forefront of Healthcare Innovation’ podcast on your favorite podcast network, today! New episodes released every week.
Love this podcast? Check out these other recent episodes:
- [Podcast] Fireside chat with Jeff Arnold, WebMD & Sharecare Founder on Covid-19 & The Future of Medicine
- [Podcast] Coronavirus symptom tracker for consumers & the future of personalized medical care access
- [Podcast] Rimidi launches Coronavirus screening app for doctors to stay safe
- [Podcast]: How is Project Polaris Improving Patient Satisfaction?
- [Podcast] Virgin Pulse & The Future of Enterprise Healthcare. Fireside Chat with Rajiv Kumar