Digital Transformation| August 16, 2020
[Podcast]: From Mindfulness Training to Quitting Smoking & Managing Chronic Conditions
Today’s guest is Dr. Jud Brewer, Director of Research and Innovation, Mindfulness Center at Brown University and senior scientific and medical advisor for behavioral health at Sharecare and the creator of MindSciences.
Reminiscing on how MindSciences began at Yale, Dr. Brewer takes us back to 2012 when smartphones started becoming more prevalent. The good doctor tells us about how he aspired to develop digital-based therapeutics and how he spent almost one decade achieving this mission.
MindSciences is currently the leading evidence-based behavior change app and it has recently been acquired by Sharecare.
Dr. Brewer explains what neurofeedback is and how Anderson Cooper became involved with it for a story on 60 Minutes. Focusing on smoking habits, Dr. Brewer breaks down the two main components of cravings, both physiological and psychological, and the roles those play in our habits – and how digital-enabled platforms can help smokers quit.
Listen to the podcast further to learn about:
- How your habit can be influenced by algorithms & daily regiments
- How mental awareness can help you
- How COVID-19 and quarantine are affecting habits in general
- How an app can make sure you achieve your health goals and alter behavior
- Discover what mindfulness training is and how it can benefit you
- The importance and significance of digital outreach
- The future plans for MindSciences after being acquired by Sharecare
Subscribe to‘Healthcare Weekly: At the Forefront of Healthcare Innovation’ podcast on your favorite podcast network, today! New episodes released every week.
Love this podcast? Check out these other recent episodes:
- [Podcast] How Unite Us Helps Veterans And At-Risk Community Members Access Health Services
- [Podcast] Getting Venture Capital in Healthcare: Everything You Need to Know
- [Podcast]: How one company is trying to fix the broken resource allocation process in healthcare
- [Podcast] Integrated HIPAA Communication Platforms? Yes, they actually exist!
- [Podcast] Coronavirus symptom tracker for consumers & the future of personalized medical care access
- [Podcast] Rimidi launches Coronavirus screening app for doctors to stay safe
- [Podcast]: How is Project Polaris Improving Patient Satisfaction?
Also, check out the “38 Best Healthcare Startups to Watch in 2020“